Explore Social Listening Topics
Social listening is analyzing online conversation data to deliver actionable insights. Our strategic insights support multiple areas on campus, such as reputation management, brand benchmarking, admissions and enrollment, and market research. Learn more about social listening and how it can benefit your institution.
Social Listening in Higher Education
Understand what social listening is, how data-informed marketing provides actionable insights, potential outcomes of social listening, and why it's a strategic investment.
Responding to students is key to converting inquiries to applications and engagements to donations. Social listening can help you engage prospective students to increase your yield or nurture relationships with engaged students who become engaged alumni.
Campus Reputation Management
In higher education, your reputation is in the hands of the general public. It's your job to understand what the public says about you, and align your content with strategic goals to inform public perception.
Influencer Marketing in Higher Education
Influencers can drive your brand's message to a larger market. They're people with the potential to influence attitudes and behaviors tied to key enrollment, fundraising, and branding outcomes, allowing you to harness the power of peer influence for strategic impact.
Having a crisis plan in place ensures you're ready when a crisis rises to the surface. Social listening can help you know when a crisis is brewing so you can monitor the issue in real-time, ensure campus safety, and mitigate brand impact.
Audience Research and Conversation Analysis
Understanding your audience allows you to be impactful in everything your do—from outreach to marketing. Social listening is a proven research and analysis method that allows you to achieve faster insights and empowers you to develop data-informed strategies.
The Sonarian Sitdown
Campus Sonar CEO Liz Gross offers bits of information and tips related to social listening, marketing, and higher education.
What Is Strategic Social Listening?
Liz explains that the internet is real life and strategic social listening captures and categorizes the conversations and mentions about your organization, allowing you to create data-driven insights that engage your campus’s strategy.
Social Listening Is Modern Marketing
Market research helps you gather insights and craft messages that resonate with your audience and achieve strategic objectives. This episode explains how new research methods like social listening help you understand the mindset and decision-making of your target audiences.
The Benefits of Influencer Marketing
Influencers create a connection between audience and content. Embracing influencer marketing can contribute to your strategic goals and provide tangible benefits that are valuable to your institution.
Leveraging influencers can impact the conversation about your school and build your social media and brand strategies. Learn how to find influencers, determine the right fit, and measure your success.
Strategic Social Listening
Social listening allows you to strategically analyze online conversations. Once you determine your inputs and analyze them, you end up with outcomes and impacts that are directly related to your campus goals.
Crisis Case Study
Campus Sonar recently helped a university client manage a crisis and understand if the story was spreading, how it was spreading, and how quickly it was spreading. By monitoring the conversation, reviewing the dashboard, and developing a response, the client avoided any additional attention.
Crisis Social Listening Metrics
Six key social listening metrics help you be proactive, rather than reactive during a crisis. This vlog explains each metric, how it helps you identify actionable insights, and how you can use the information to advise your leaders and respond to the situation.
5 Questions to Answer in a Crisis
If your campus experiences a crisis, using strategic social listening will help you answer five critical questions. This vlog shares how the answers to these questions help you monitor and manage the crisis so you can determine your campus response.
Brand Attribute Conversation
Brand attribute conversation is a brand metric that helps you quantify your brand identity. Capturing and categorizing the online conversation that aligns with your attributes, helps you can quantify it, measure it over time, and identify opportunities to improve your messaging.
Share of Voice
Share of voice is a brand metric that compares your brand content to your competitors’ content. Calculate share of voice and measuring the changes over time help you determine if your brand perception changes.
Owned vs. Earned Content
Owned and earned content is a brand metric that allows you to segment your branded content and calculate your ratio of content, measure it regularly, and shape your messaging.
Brand Management Metrics
Brands today are based on what the general public says about you, not to you—for better or for worse. This vlog explains how you can gain a clear understanding of what the public thinks about your brand by listening to the conversation.
In the Wild
Blogs, articles, podcasts, and vlogs featuring members of the Campus Sonar team or insights and research about social listening.
Articles featuring Campus Sonar
- 4 Mistakes Higher-Ed Execs Make on Social Media and How they Can Stop Making Them
- 4 Reasons to Use Social Media Listening in Higher Education #hesm
- GreenBook: Enhancing Students' Higher Education Experience Using Social Listening
- Guest Post: The Case for Strategic Social Listening in Higher Education
- How to Influence Online Conversations About Your Institution
- How to Use TikTok for Social Listening
- Idea Mensch: Liz Gross, Founding Director of Campus Sonar
- The Next Wave of Market Intelligence: Social Listening
- Research Spotlight: Campus Sonar's Study Into Online Benchmarks for Higher Education Institutions
- Social Listening Belongs in the Modern Marketer's Toolbox
- Social Listening Drives Strategic Engagement
- What Social Listening Can't Tell You
- Women in Higher Education: Social Listening with Liz Gross of Campus Sonar
- 50 Education Marketing and Communications Experts to Follow on Twitter
- Demonstrating Social Media's Value and Impact
- How to Harness the Power of Social Media for Effective Climate Crisis Management
- Social Listening: A Huge Opportunity for Astute Social Media Users
- Webinar Round-Up: Sharing Social Intelligence Across the Business
Podcasts and Vlogs
- Bringing the Power of Social Listening to Campus
- Contender Cast: Campus Sonar—Enabling Higher Education with Social Listening
- Do You Hear What I Hear? #31Minutes Podcast, Episode 2
- The Higher Ed Geek Podcast: Episode 20, Dr. Liz Gross
- How to Use Social Listening to Uncover Audience Insights for Effective Content Marketing
- Josie and the Podcast: Higher Ed Marketing with a Mission: Stephen App
- Josie and the Podcast: Educator Meets Intrapraneur to Ignite Social Listening: Liz Gross
- Proactive Marketing Using Social Listening with Steve App
- Research in Action: Dr. Liz Gross and Amber Sandall on Social Listening
- Social Listening: A New Enrollment Influencer
- SREB: Using Social Media Analytics in Research
- The Student Affairs Spectacular Podcast Episode #51: Liz Gross on Social Media Success in Higher Education
- Transform Your Market Research with Social Conversation Analysis
- What Accepted Students Want